General learning objectives
After going through this course, you should be able to
- Know Latest and Upcoming changes in IMO,ILO and any other international convention related to shipping
- Have an Overview of the Indian Merchant Shipping Act
- Know New Developments in Marine Engineering Systems (Ship Design, Automation and Materials)
- Know Latest and Upcoming changes in Class rules of Major IACS member Classification Societies
- Understand PSC and FSI Procedures
- Understand the causes of Machinery breakdown/personal injury Case Studies
The International Maritime Organization has effected major amendments in the year 1995 and 2010 to the International Convention on Standards of Training Certification, and Watch keeping for Seafarers, 1978 (STCW, 1978) and both amendments have necessitated up-gradation of Certificate of Competency issued under respective previous amendments. The 2010 amendments of STCW 78, named as Manila amendments, had entered into force on 1st January 2012. The transition period for complete compliance with the 2010 Manila amendments was until 31st December 2016. This means, with effect from 1st January 2017, all holders of Certificate of Competency (CoC) issued under the provisions of STCW 78 and STCW 78 as amended in 1995 were required to hold COC which are fully compliant with STCW 2010 amendments.
In order to give effect to the STCW 2010 amendments, the Government of India has notified the Merchant Shipping (STCW) Rules, 2014 on 30th July 2014.
Noting that the Regulation 1/ 11, Paragraph 4 and 5 of STCW 2010 amendments requires each Party to the STCW Convention to compare the standards of competence that are mandatory to be attained by the candidates holding CoC issued before 1st January 2017 under STCW1995 with those specified for the appropriate grade of CoC under STCW 2010 and shall determine the need for holders of such CoC to undergo appropriate refresher and updating training or assessment for up-gradation.
Applicability of the Refresher and Updating training Course for revalidation:
This course is applicable to all those Engineer Officers (operational level and Management Level) whose CoCs have already been issued in compliance with STCW 2010 amendments and aspiring to revalidate their CoC.